11 Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) About Studying in the United States

11 Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) About Studying in the United States

Posted at: 18 Jan 2021

Studying abroad is a unique experience for many students to pursue their education overseas. It is a great opportunity for students to gain quality education, experience new culture and become more independent. 

To most students, it is very common that most students have many questions in mind related to studying and living in the United States. Here are a few commonly asked questions.  

1. What’re the differences between a college and a university?

A college is smaller in scale than a university because it contains only undergraduate degree programs. However, a university is broader because it offers graduate programs as well.

2. Are there age limitations to attend universities in the US?

Students must have completed a high-school degree, so they can attend universities. They must be at least 17 years old.

 3. What is the academic calendar for universities in the U.S.?

The academic year often runs from August through May when a break is in between.

 4. What is the difference between “Undergraduate” and “Graduate” degrees?

An undergraduate degree follows high-school degrees and leads to an associate degree (two years) or a bachelor’s degree (four years). Graduate degrees follow a Bachelor’s degree and lead to a Master’s and Doctoral degree.

 5. Can you work while studying in the U.S.?

It depends on the types of visas. Most likely, you are eligible to work on campuses such as being a barista or librarian at your universities. We encourage you to seek consultations for the local and nearby consultancy for study abroad for further information.

 6. Can I transfer to a university in the U.S. from a university outside the U.S.?

Yes, you can. However, we encourage you to seek consultation from your nearby consultancy for study abroad.

 7. What is a community college?

Community colleges are often state-sponsored and offer an associate degree for two years for students.

 8. I want to study in the U.S., but my English proficiency isn’t good enough yet. What can I do?

Some universities offer English programs before you enter to study for a Bachelor’s degree. No matter what, we advise you to seek consultations from a local consultancy to study abroad for this matter.

 9. What is a liberal arts college?

A liberal art college often offers courses in humanities and languages.

 10. What is a GPA?

GPA has a full wording of Grade Point Average. It is a numeric indicator of students’ performance. It scales in 4.0 the highest.

 11. If I still have more concerns, who can I reach out to?  

It is very common that students will have many concerns regarding processes of overseas education, therefore, it is always a great idea to reach out to the education agent who are the expert in preparing students to study abroad. Students are welcomed to reach out to seek a free consulting service with us, WEduAbroad via our number (855) 17 548 354 or visit us at the 9th Floor, B-Ray Tower, Preah Norodom Blvd, Tonle Bassak Commune, Chamkamorn District, Phnom Penh.  

***Disclaimer: WEduShare does not own the content. Our purpose is purely to help spread the information. Although every effort is made to keep the information true, accurate, complete and appropriate, we make no representations nor warranties.